Linda Purcell shared her Vegetarian Unfries and Spicy Chipotle Aioli from her Veggie Outlaws Most Wanted Vegetarian Recipes.
These fries are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. The trick is to soak the cut fries in hot water for 10 minutes before baking. They are spicy – or not, because you can make them as hot or as mild as you like. They are lower in fat, and healthier because they are baked and not fried, so you can enjoy them without feeling guilty.Linda Purcell
Here is a video of the preparation. There is a lot of discussion about cooking beyond the preparation, so there is a lot to learn in the clip.
- 4 medium russet potatoes,
peeled,and cut longwise into even strips (about 4 cups)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 ⅓ tbsp grapeseed oil, divided into 2 tbsp and ⅓ tsp (from an oil dispenser)
- ¼ tsp Spike or Old Bay seasoning (if using Old Bay you may want to add an additional ¼ tsp sea salt)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ – 2 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel and cut 4 medium russet potatoes
lenthwiseinto long slices about ¼” thick, and then slice again so each long slice is also ¼” deep (AKA fry shape).
- Place slices in a narrow dish, sprinkle with ¼ tsp
salt,and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. This will allow the fries to be crunchy on the outside but soft and creamy on the inside.
- Drain potatoes, pat dry with paper towels, and place in a dry dish. Add in 2 tbsp grapeseed oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp Spike, ¼ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ – 2 tsp chili powder (vary amount depending on how spicy you like your fries) and toss potatoes to evenly coat them in oil and spices.
- Spray a baking dish with grapeseed oil from an oil dispenser. Evenly spread out the potatoes onto the baking sheet in a thin, single layer. For a crisper fry, leave space between each.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 30 minutes. Check fries, at the
half waypoint, and turn them with a spatula. Continue baking until golden.
- Serve immediately with
This recipe is high in vitamin C, and has some vitamin A, calcium, and iron.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
Spicy Chipotle Aioli Dipping Sauce
The Spicy Chipotle Aioli makes a great dip for the Unfries.
This is a yummy aioli (a fancy way of saying vegan mayonnaise) and can be used in burgers, on sandwiches, or as a dip. We love to pair Chipolte Aioli with our Spicy, Chili Unfries. This is a quick, easy recipe to make, but it goes fast. We recommend doubling or tripling the recipe, and if you have any left over, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. It also freezes well.Linda Purcell
- ½ cup cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 2 tbsp cashew milk (or combination of oat, cashew, and coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (from canned in adobe sauce with seeds removed) (for a milder flavour you can use 1 tsp powdered chipotle pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 roasted garlic cloves (you could use instead 1 – ½ tsp minced garlic)
- Prepare roasted garlic (It is handy to prepare in advance – but if you do not have time, you can replace with 1 – ½ tsp minced garlic)
- Soak ½ cup cashews in water for at least four hours. Make sure to drain, rinse, and resoak several times to ensure the water remains clear. (We find the water often becomes quite black between rinses)
- Mix together in a food processor or blender, soaked cashews (they will have expanded a bit, but that is okay), 2 tbsp cashew milk (or combination of oat, cashew, and coconut milk), 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 chopped chipotle pepper (from canned in adobe sauce with seeds removed), 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, ½ tsp sea salt, and 3 roasted garlic cloves.
- Process until smooth and creamy. If the aioli is too thick, add more milk – 1 tbsp at a time to ensure it does not become too runny, and process until it reaches
- Serve as a dipping sauce for fries or use as a condiment on burgers or sandwiches.
This recipe is high in Vitamin C, and has some Vitamin A, Calcium, and Iron.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes: ½ cup
We will let you know when Linda’s Veggie Outlaws Most Wanted Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook is available.Join Our Mailing List